TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Acceptance of Offer
- By filling out the application, I accept the offer to participate in this Study Abroad program, which is arranged through and by South Florida Friends of Classical Music: SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad Program in collaboration with ISTITUTO EUROPEO in Florence.
- I understand I must be eighteen (18) years of age or older as of July 3, 2017. Proof of age (i.e. government issued ID, birth certificate, etc.) may be requested as verification of eligibility.
- I understand that I am responsible for attending the SUMMER IN FLORENCE™. Study Abroad pre-departure webinar. I understand that in the event I cannot attend this meeting, it is my responsibility to contact SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad about alternative pre-departure orientation viewing options. All participants must view the pre-departure orientation in order to participate in a SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ study abroad program.
- I agree to adhere to the SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad Withdrawal and Cancellation Policy (see below) should I need to withdraw from my program.
Fees and Other Program Costs
- I agree to pay tuition and fees, according to the terms designated by SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad. I further understand that should I withdraw from this program, these charges are subject to the terms and conditions of the SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad Withdrawal and Cancellation Policy.
- I understand the program costs are calculated in Euro. The prices expressed in US Dollars are subject to change and are also subject to daily exchange rates.
- Applications are submitted through our web partner GetAcceptd, I understand there will be a non-refundable application fee of $300.
- I agree to pay a refundable security deposit of €350 (euros). This deposit is refundable at the end of the program within 60 days after the program is finished, by bank transfer.
- After submitting the application, I understand I will be required to cover an initial payment of $500 towards the tuition to be considered for the program no later than 3 days after your initial application, and I should pay the whole tuition no later than June 1st, 2017. I understand I will contact SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ if I need an extension to pay.
- I understand some courses include a supplemental or lab fees that are not included in the tuition cost, read carefully when you choose your elective course.
- I have read and understand what the tuition of the program covers, and I am responsible for any additional expenses not included in the package.
Health & Safety Considerations
- I certify that I do not have any physical or mental condition which will create a danger or hazard for me, other participants or hosts in the program.
- I understand that I am solely responsible for my pre-program, program, and post program medical care in all respects, including, but not limited to, obtaining and taking necessary medication(s), vaccinations and any other medical care and treatment. I acknowledge that I am advised to consult a physician qualified in travel medicine, immunizations and infectious/tropical diseases prior to my trip departure.
- I understand that as a participant in the SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad program, I am required to purchase the international medical insurance card, which includes overseas coverage for medical services, emergency medical evacuation, and repatriation of remains. I understand the international medical insurance card I am required to purchase only covers the duration of the study abroad program and therefore I will not cancel my student health insurance or other medical insurance policy that covers me in the United States. Further, I understand that, though covered by the SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ approved policy or other comparable policy, I may be required to pay or show proof of ability to pay in advance for most medical expenses, and that I must file claims directly with the insurance company myself. I understand and acknowledge that, if I am required to be hospitalized while in another country or in the United States during this program, I will be legally responsible for the payment of such hospitalization and that SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ does not assume any legal responsibility for such payment.
- In the event of illness or injury, I hereby authorize the program director or other agents to obtain emergency or other medical treatment as deemed necessary, including administration of an anesthetic or other medication and surgery, and I hereby assume the cost of such treatment. I understand that this authorization is given in advance of any specific diagnosis, treatment, or hospital care being required but is given to provide authority and power on the part of the Program to give specific consent to the diagnosis, treatment, or hospital care which in the best judgment of a licensed physician is deemed advisable.
Withdrawal and Cancellation Policy
- I understand that upon digitally signing this Student Contract I have committed myself to participating in this study abroad program. I understand I must pay a nonrefundable Study Abroad fee of $300.
- I understand and agree that if I withdraw from my study abroad program, I must notify SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad in writing about my withdrawal. This written notification must include my reasons for withdrawal. I also understand that my withdrawal is effective only upon that the date of receipt of written notification by SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad.
- Program Cost liability is based on the date on which a formal cancellation request is received in writing. If a cancellation notice is received:
a) 50 – 31 days prior to start of term student is liable for 25% of program cost.
b) 30 – 8 days prior to start of term student is liable for 50% of program cost.
c) 7 days or less prior to start of term student is liable for 100% of full program cost.
- Security Deposit and refunds will be paid to you within 60 days of the program’s end, providing all accounts are paid in full. Any monies owed to SUMMER IN FLORENCE™, its academic institutions or any agent, contractor or program partner, will be deducted from monies owed to the student by SUMMER IN FLORENCE™. Transcripts from ISTITUTO EUROPEO will be withheld until all accounts are paid in full.
- I understand that I am responsible for informing all other relevant officials of my study abroad program (e.g. resident/program director, host institution, etc.) about my withdrawal.
Conditions Related to International Travel
- I acknowledge that I am fully aware that risks and hazards associated with international travel and residence may include personal injury; death; property theft; robbery and other violent crimes; political or civil unrest; and natural and environmental hazards, including unsanitary conditions, disease, dangerous animals, and hazardous natural geographic features. I further understand that other countries have different laws, regulations or standards; may have few or no laws, regulations or standards; or may not enforce their existing laws, regulations or standards, including, but not limited to, those related to health, welfare, safety, crime, regulation of businesses and transportation in any form (including travel by sea, land or air).
- I understand and acknowledge that it is very helpful and my responsibility to register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at https://step.state.gov/step/ a free service provided by the US State Department to keep US citizens updated on any crisis in the area in which they are traveling. I also will look for country-specific, travel alerts, and travel warnings at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en.html.I further understand and acknowledge that it is my responsibility to obtain current health information, including recommended precautions for the area in which I am traveling at http://www.cdc.gov/travel/index.htm the website of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
- In order to apply for entry into another country, you must have a passport in your possession which is valid for up to 12 months past your return date. If you do not currently have a passport with this validity, you should apply for a new passport immediately. Regular passport processing times are typically 4-6 weeks. If you are a U.S. citizen, you can find out how to get a passport on the U.S. State Department at https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html. If you are not a U.S. citizen, then you need to contact the authorities who issue passports on behalf of your home country (usually the agency that has diplomatic or immigration authority).
- It is important that you know what visa requirements will apply to you so that you can prepare for this well in advance. Since the visa is granted by the country to which you plan to travel, you must contact them to find out if you need a visa and if so, how to apply for one. If you need a student visa, applying for it can be an involved process that requires your careful attention. Gathering the required documentation for your student visa can take as much or more time than your study abroad application itself. SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad Program and ISTITUTO EUROPEO are not responsible for obtaining student visas and passports, nor are they in any way responsible for visa complications, delays, or visa denials.
- I understand that, prior to commencement of any travel, I must inform the Resident Director (if applicable) of any travel outside of the city hosting my study abroad program. I understand that I am solely responsible for all independent student travel throughout the duration of the study abroad program. I confirm that I have discussed my plans with my parent or guardian and have consulted the program’s policies. I understand that SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ may be unable to intervene or assist on my behalf once I have left the program site. In certain locations, I understand that SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad may not be able to render any assistance whatsoever.
- I understand that local driving laws and practices are unlike those in the U.S. SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ strongly discourages students from driving, renting, leasing or owning a motor vehicle while participating on the program. I understand that the Program will not assist students with any personal motor vehicle-related issues, including problems resulting from the use of vehicles or accidents before, during, or after the program. I understand that if I own / lease / rent / drive that I do so at my own risk.
Rights and Responsibilities Related to Student Conduct
- I understand that my conduct during the program inside and outside the classroom reflects upon the SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ and the host institution, and I agree that I shall abide by and am subject to International Student Code of Conduct, as well as by the regulations of the specific study abroad program, host institution and the host country. I understand that examples of misconduct include, but are not limited to: violation of laws of my host country; abuse of alcohol, or use or abuse of illegal drugs; disturbing the peace or disrupting the community; repeated failure to control noise levels in student housing facilities; disruption of the academic environment of the program, including repeated failure to participate in class assignments or to attend mandatory excursions; academic misconduct, including plagiarism and cheating; vandalism perpetrated against public or private property; assault or sexual assault.
- I am also aware that in other countries, certain behaviors (including, but not limited to dress, manners, sexual conduct, different standards of morality, expression of political views, use of vulgar language, and drug use) are unacceptable and/or illegal and could lead to possible disruption of my participation in the program. I understand that I am solely responsible and have an affirmative responsibility to seek information about cultural norms, particularly unacceptable behaviors in the countries where I am traveling or studying prior to departure, and I agree to act in an appropriate manner at all times, both when I am in the company of other program members and when I am physically separated from fellow program members.
- I also agree that I will abide by all terms and conditions of the housing agreement associated with the program, including check-in and check-out dates, and any other behavior expectations as outlined by the proprietor or institution in charge of the accommodations.
- I agree that if the Resident Director, the Director of Study Abroad and/or the Director of Community Standards believe my conduct is in violation of the Student Code, the institution’s housing agreement and/or this Contract, my participation in the program may be terminated. I understand that if I am asked to leave the program, I risk forfeiture of all course credit, all program costs and other associated fees.
- I acknowledge and understand that, if I should encounter or cause any legal problems with any foreign nationals or with the government of a host country, I shall be personally and financially responsible for their resolution and that SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ is not responsible for assisting and may be unable to assist me under these circumstances.
- I acknowledge and understand that SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad will communicate with me primarily through email and I agree to monitor the email account on record with SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad before, during, and immediately after the dates of this program to receive any messages sent to me by SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad or its agents.
- I understand that, if I am an individual with a disability that requires reasonable accommodation, I am responsible for contacting SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ Study Abroad as soon as possible to assess the availability of such accommodation on this program. I further understand that U.S. disability laws do not apply overseas.
- I acknowledge that SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ reserves the right to cancel, make changes to, or substitutions in the entire program, courses, faculty, agenda, field trips, itinerary, flight arrangements and other services as deemed necessary by SUMMER IN FLORENCE™, the host institution, or their agents or employees.
- As part of the consideration for participating in this program, I hereby release, hold harmless, and forever discharge SUMMER IN FLORENCE™ and South Florida Friends of Classical Music, Inc., their members individually and their officers, agents and employees, from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions, and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or related to any loss, property damage, or personal injury, including death, that may be sustained by me or to any property belonging to me while participating in this program. Such losses, damages and injuries include, but are not limited to: a) expenses or losses due to my failure to obtain passport, visas, traveler's checks, and tickets or my failure to safeguard properly these items or any other property of mine; b) losses or expenses due to sickness, weather, strikes, hostilities, wars, natural disasters or other such causes; c) any disruption of travel arrangements and any consequent additional expenses that may be incurred as a result; and d) any failure, due to bankruptcy or otherwise, of any of the companies providing transportation, hotel, food, tour services, or other goods or services. I am fully aware of the risks and hazards associated with this activity and with foreign travel and residence. I understand that it is possible for me to complete my degree program without studying abroad, and I acknowledge that my participation in this activity is elected by me and not required. I voluntarily assume full responsibility for any risk of loss, damage, or personal injury, including death, and for any property damage that may be sustained by me as a result of participation in this program.
Back to top